Thursday, December 10, 2009

On Death & Dying



I found out today that my Oma (that's Grandmother or Nanna or Gran or whatever you term may be) passed away yesterday in Holland. She was my step-father, Lane's, mother.

She had a stroke a few years ago and was living in a nursing home, unfortunately in an almost uncommunicative state. For all the years she was there my Opa would still leave his house everyday and sit with her. That is true love and dedication. I am sure he is lost at the moment but hopefully also happy that she was finally able to let go and move on to wherever spirits go when they pass.

Lane was always very close to her and would go to Holland from Perth regularly to visit and pass by if on business in Europe. As would my mum and little sister Tatiane. I know the last few times he saw her, he told her that it was okay to go, if that was what she wanted. He wanted to let her know that he would be okay.

My sister Liane and I went to visit a few years ago (funny aside, the poor old lady whom Oma was sharing her room with, didn't know we were her grandchildren and thought we were there to rob them...). It was quite hard and emotional to see her lying in her bed, when the last time we saw her she was still the strong woman she was.

I really needed to take the time to stop and honour her. Wishing I had known her better and giving gratitude for the huge impact she had on Lane. Acknowledging the life she lead, knowing that she was a woman, whom I'm sure had dreams and goals and I wonder how she felt about life.

It has just reminded me that life can be short and one of the reasons I wanted to start SSS was so that I can become an old woman who can look back at her life and be proud. Be proud of the fact that I tried everything I wanted to experience, rather than thinking of all the things I should have attempted and regretting that I didn't have the guts to seize the opportunity. Because I think that must be one of the worst feelings in the world...

So thank you Oma for all that you did and for having this effect on me today.

Make it what you wish SSSs!

Arienne x
Empowering women to create the inspired life they want through a template for life. In warm spirited community

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...