Monday, March 15, 2010

The people that mean the world to you...near or far


When life gets busy, it is amazing how the important things can fall by the wayside while you feel like you are putting out fires. Things that are absolutely the most important things in the world. Friends and family. Especially those special people who live far away from where you do. I love them, they are in my mind, I think of them often, but there can be times of little contact. It has really been on my mind for the last few months.

So I called my Dad today (he lives in Switzerland and yes, it is as beautiful as you imagine), because I haven't spoken to him in a month or so. I wanted to tell him how much I love him and how I've missed him and have a good gander about life etc. Then...he didn't answer! Great...

Well, at least I called and left a message and he knows I've tried, but it is nowhere near the same as actually speaking to him. I sometimes feel like he may not know how much I care about him because I allow everyday life to take over rather than creating the time to make a call. With the time differences and long days at work and not really having a home phone, on top of the social activities, the time I need to rest, the time I try to put aside for my passion projects, it sometimes feels too hard, or the time flys by and all of a sudden a week has passed. But that is pathetic! That is horrible! He is one of the most important people in my life and I CANNOT continue like this. My admin job is not as important as my father.

So what can I do? What can I do to ensure I have the important time to speak to him, and the other important people in my life, especially when life feels so busy and out of control. These are the times it is even more important to connect. I want to involve them in my life, find out what is going on in theirs - laugh together, commiserate together, find out the little and big things going on in their everyday.

Well, I can put aside the time. Cement it in my diary that at least once a fortnight I call him. Write it in my diary that at least once a week I write an email to him (and my mum in Perth, Tatiane my sister, Yvette in the US one of my best friends). Then once a quarter write it in my diary to communicate with my more distant relations - my aunt in Germany, my lovely family in Singapore.

So Daddy, while I couldn't speak to you today - I'm shouting out a message through the World Wide Web :) I love you!!!!! and call me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...