Saturday, October 1, 2011

Carry-On Calm Travel Packing List


Long-haul international travel can be taxing on the body and the mind. I'm off to London next week and that means a lot of hours on the go, on the plane and in transit. Probably about 30 hours door to door with very little sleep!

But there is an upside. I have to say that, for some reasons, I like travel. I always find it exciting. Everyone going somewhere with some sort of purpose. The arrivals hall of airports is one of my favourite places. Seeing families and lovers reuniting, I always wonder what their story is. Plus it is my opportunity to catch up on movies that I never get around to seeing at the cinema (and then forget about when I'm at the video store)!

I thought I'd share with you my clothing suggestions, carry on luggage list and what the necessities are to bring with you when posing as an international jet-setter. I sometimes wish I could be that guy that you often see that just carries on his book, boarding pass and passport (but I'm not). It may be overkill but when I'm in a different place I like to have things on hand (and just in case my checked-in luggage ends up at a different location than I do) - add and subtract to suit you :)


Clothing Suggestions To Wear Aboard
  • Wear something that is absolutely comfortable. Now is not the time for that tight pair of jeans.
  • Bring layers - the temperatures vary so much so you want to control what you can. Scarf, cardigan, jacket.
  • Wear closed shoes that are easy to slip on and off (remember, feet often swell at altitude).
  • Not very sexy but I wear compression socks because I had sore elephant feet once and I don't want to scare myself like that again
  • Think about the weather at your destination too and bring it with you or pack it at the top of your suitcase to take out and change at the airport
  • A watch - I don't normally wear a watch as I use my phone for the time, but if I have to switch my phone off to conserve battery, I still want to know how much longer I have left on the flight!


Check-In Luggage

Make sure it has wheels or something that makes it easy to move around (have you ever had to walk from one terminal to another at Heathrow?! Lesson learned!)



Carry On Luggage

Roller Bag - if you have a lot of heavy stuff it's easier to wheel than carry!
Handbag with sections so things don't get jumbled up.
Travel Document Wallet - to keep all the important docs together (tip - keep a copy of important docs in carry on and in checked in luggage)






Important Things

  • Passport
  • Ticket/Itinerary/Boarding Pass
  • Wallet (don't forget to take out all the loyalty cards you won't be using overseas to lighten the load)
  • Some foreign currency (you don't want to take the chance that your cards don't work and you haven't got any cash while you sort it out!)
  • Hard copy version of important phone numbers, addresses and travel confirmations



Entertainment

  • Book
  • Magazine
  • Crossword/Sudoku
  • iPod - for my audio books, podcasts and music
  • iPad/Kindle - to read books/play games
  • iPhone - I don't suggest reading or using your phone for too much while travelling. You want to save your battery for phone calls/text messages
  • Headphones
  • Apple USB charger (some planes enable you to recharge at your seat)
  • Laptop
  • Laptop Charger
  • Camera
  • Journal/Notebook - for musings and idea scribbles
  • Pens
  • Organiser

 Photo Credit

Personal

  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Deoderant
  • Perfume
  • Hand Sanitiser
  • Face/Body Wipes
  • Moisturiser
  • Lip Balm
  • Eyedrops
  • Hairbrush, pins, hairband
  • Mints
  • Panadol
  • Vitamins, medicine
  • Melatonin or other sleep/jetlag remedies
  • Rescue Remedy
  • Blow up neck pillow - it takes less space than the other ones
  • Change of underwear and top to stay fresh :)
  • Snacks - because I hate being hungry!!!


Optional

Eye mask - I'm not a big fan but some people swear by using them
Personal hair and makeup artist to arrive in style (I wish...)

Happy Travels SSSs! Print out your own list and tick it off as you put things in. Don't forget to charge all your electronics before you board and double check the important things (passport, wallet, ticket) before you leave. You can buy everything else if you forget them.

Make it as comfortable as you wish!
Jetsetter Arienne xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...