Friday, October 14, 2011

The London Experience So Far...

Apologies for the lack of pictures, links and formatting in this post! I'm typing off my iPad...I'll see if I can update when I get back to the laptop

Well my dears, I am typing this from a very non-british Starbucks in Earls Court where we are temporarily staying while mum has jetted into town for a few days. Yes, watch out London as the Sissies and their mum (or The Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan as The Man has termed us) is hitting town.

So far we have done A LOT of walking. The Tube is fantastic and busy (the lil' sis Tatiane keeps comparing it to how busy it would be on Perth public transport at various times of the day...for those of you who know Perth, there is no comparison - it would be like comparing a bit of the Gobi desert with Times Square on New Years Eve...).

The activities to date:

MARKETS
We have done a lot of markets. Borough (where we went all fancy and bought whole fish to bake with artichokes and gorgeous olives - which I don't even like, but I went with it). Camden Markets where I has a nutella and banana crepe and the four of us shared an ice cream frozen in front of our eyes with liquid nitrogen. Portobello where there was sooooo much vintage that I was not in the mood for, but topped of with a delish red velvet cupcake from the Hummingbird Bakery. Nooks and crannies around the funky Brick Lane, tacky souvenir stalls around Covent Garden (together with a crepes).

FOOD
I have to say the food hasn't been great (besides that whole fish lil' sis baked for us! And an amazing roast the other sister's new boyfriend impressed us with!). There are a lot of chain restaurants and pubs and food stalls. I guess we've also not really been on the search for gastronomy - rather opting for what was convenient around us at the time. I am craving some fresh fruit and veggies. Something I've noticed is that all the juice places really only do fruit juice, not vegetable...much to my 'Crazy Sexy' (amazing movement and book by the inspiring Kris Carr) disappointment.

SHOPPING
The two outfits I alluded to in an earlier post have now (thankfully) been added to. We hit a MASSIVE Westfields in Sheperds Bush and shopped all those fab large stores - H&M, Zara, Topshop and even went for a walk and found the cheapy gem Primark. I have a slew of skinny jeans that actually fit, some colorful tops and a couple of awesome jackets. I can't say I'm a big fan of the current slouchy fashion, but I'm finding some great basics and block colour items.

MUSIC AND CULTURE
We went and saw The Kooks at the famous Brixton Academy which was a lot of fun except for the aching legs and back after a day of walking. It was a real experience winding our way through all the ticket scalpers that were around. What a tough gig that would be.

We spent a couple of hours doing one of my favorite inspiring things today - meandering around a few bookshops. It really gets by mental juices running with creativity and ideas.

TO DO
There is still a lot on the menu. Tonight we're seeing the West End show Stomp (looking forward to seeing hot men jumping around - I am missing The Man ;). We're off to Bath this weekend to soak up some Austen era countryside. Tate Modern and all those big tourist attractions are still beckoning too. And a bunch of friends to catch up with since they've all started to come back from holidays. Oooooh and high tea at some stage too.

Time is flying by, but we are making the most of it (besides lingering over breakfast watching things like Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and 90210 on the TV!) and having wonderful family time.

I'm also going to find some time next week to sit down and do SSS things that I'm really looking forward to.

I hope you're all well and soaking up whatever experiences you're having.

Make it as you wish SSSs and I'll see if I can find another Starbucks in a few days to connect with the world again.
Cheerio and a cup of tea!
Arienne xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...